Friday, February 5, 2010

Cogito ergo sum.

There's nothing like having Friday afternoon off!! It was a relaxing afternoon - time to myself, which is nice once in a while.

Isn't it strange that unpleasant things one goes through help shape future thoughts and character? When I was a freshman in college, I was enrolled in a philosophy class. I hated everything about that class; the readings, the professor, the guy in the front row that was constantly sucking up to the professor, the girl in the row over who I'm pretty sure hated me.......it was awful. Matt Miller was the bane of my existence those 4 months, mainly because of his attempts to get our class thinking about the meaning of communism, capitalism, existentialism, empiricism and the meaning of life in general.

Now looking back, what I learned in that philosophy plays a huge part in my thinking and decision making, not to mention the part it played in being able to understand and appreciate I Heart Huckabees, which is one of my all-time movie faves! I like to think I'm not a narrow minded person, and I'm pretty sure part of that comes from those painful 3 hours I suffered through as an 18-year old freshman in college from the booming town of Mustang.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment