Wednesday, September 25, 2013

It's Fun to Read Good Books

The last few months have been fairly uneventful.  I'll try to get back into writing at least once a week.  I read a few books that I've been meaning to write for the last 10 years.*  The first one being The Poisonwood Bible.  This book jacked me up, and by jacked me up I mean made me think outside myself.  Unfortunately I'm guilty of getting tunnel vision, obsessing over needless details like home decor and pop culture.  While hitting me on the head over worrying less over stupid things that don't matter it simultaneously screamed at me to pay attention to details that do matter and to appreciate the small things in life (like my daughter waking from nap time and barking like a dog to entertain herself while waiting for me to come get her.  That's happening.  Right.  Now.)

My favorite quote from the book:

"To live is to be marked.  To live is to change, to acquire the words of a story, and that is the only celebration we mortals really know."

Barbara Kingslover said everything I've wanted to think or say about the world in this story.  She summarized my thoughts about those who are in need and the irony behind the world as far as what helps or hurts better than I ever could.  I read the book and felt like I could take a whole breath afterward because my incomplete ideas finally came fully into being.  What a gift, to be able to write like that.

Loved.  It.

I'll try to be back with less reflective bally-hoo such as reviews on my new iPhone 5c, baby girl's Halloween costume and my love/hate relationship with Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition.  (I just completely contradicted everything I learned when reading The Poisonwood Bible...  Perhaps....something to think about:  how can worrying over stupid things that don't matter and appreciating the small things in life look the same....but be so different?)

(In other news, it's surprisingly easy to break a perfectly great and fully functional Kindle.  Amazon, you're out of the will for not offering repair services.)

*This was actually a typo but turned out to be more truthful than what I had planned to write so I left it for you to enjoy, dear reader.  Don't overlook the irony.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment